tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@costin.dnt.ro
Subject Re: Discussion: AJP next
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2000 13:38:02 GMT
> Of course this problem is more related to general policies of Tomcat
> development. IMHO folding Tomcat into non-expandable environment, which
> is very restrictively limited to current specification is bad. It's
> safer to assume that current specification is not the ultimate solution,
> and it will have to evolve.

There is a price you have to pay for standards.

You should be very carefull with using proprietary APIs - you're code will
no longer be portable, and then I see no reason for using Servlets
anyway, since your code will run only on a particular engine.

There are many things I don't like in the Servlet API, and it will be very
hard to find someone ( anyone ) that think it is "perfect".

On the other side, what you want can be implemented in tomcat ( low level)
and will be _very_ usefull for JSP ( or other template engines ). There is
nothing wrong in having a JSP adapter that is specific to tomcat and takes
advantage of Apache-tomcat cache and optimizations.

It is usefull to have the "caching" API implemented in tomcat, use it on
JSP ( where at least you have a very clear separation between static
and dynamic content).

Costin