tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: Servlet reloading?
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2000 13:04:36 GMT
> Yep, that's what I was afraid of.  IMO, it would be better to lose all
> session objects on a context reload than lose some session data.  The
> downside though is that if I arrange for everything to be Serializable,
> then having this behavior would be really slick.  Maybe this should be
> an optional behavior that can be turned on?

Plus - what if you store a  database connection or another object that is
very complex and you have no control on it's source ?

I think Jason is right - it's very dangerous to have unpredictable
behavior, i.e. have objects that disappear or code executed "magically"
( like writeObject or constructors ). If I mark a context as
"non-distributable" probably I mean it, and probably I know that my
session objects are not "serialization-friendly".

> > > And do you see this as a way to satisfy the API 2.2 requirement
> > > that no unexpected ClassCastException problems occur?  What about
> > > objects not in a session that are shared by servlets?
> >
> > I see this as a way to solve the problems. JServ has been doing
> > this since like 1.1b3.

Yes, it's not difficult to implement it in tomcat ( assuming somebody has
the time or wish to do it, and I don't !), but the "deterministic"
question remains.

Costin