tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: IIS and Netscape connector
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2000 07:49:31 GMT
> > Any build for Unix ( there is no Makefile )?
> >
> All the code (not including a small portion of the jni worker) actually
> compiles on my AIX. The thing is that I just do not have the time to test
> it (or create a reasonable set of makefiles).

Don't worry about that, I'll do the makefiles ( and build it on
Linux/Solaris).

> > - What is the jk_ prefix :-)? It's easier to remember a name when you can
> > make an association...
> >
> The jk stands for JaKarta :) (I also considered tc, but then we are going
> to have this code running with Catalina which is ct), I wanted something
> that can diffrenciate the Jakarta unique code from all other libraries
> that we may use (like for example APR) I can not use name-spaces so I chose
> a prefix (similar to what ap_ is in apache)

:-)

> > - Can we add a bit of structure, like separating the files by
> > functionality ( like isapi, nsapi, apach modules, general  functions like
> > log, tcp, config, etc) ? ( I still remember a bit of C, but from a Java
> > point of view it's nice to have some packages and interfaces :-)
> >
> You are correct about putting the IIS and NSAPI code in different
> directories, the other parts of the code however are common to both of them and
> should be in a "common" jk directory. I see that you also mention apache,
> adding support for apache using the current code is really trivial (one
> very short file), we can have it within less then a week of my spare time.

We have mod_jserv, but long term we need to "merge" mod_jserv into jk.
There is also a bit of extra functionality in mod_jserv
that will be usefull in jk, like the wrapper ( starts tomcat when apache
starts) and load balancing.

> It was not a question of simple/vs complex as it is the issue of general
> availability. APR (I am following it's evolution) and the Apache2.0
> codebase in general has many things that I need (locks/threading/socket
> abstraction ...) and it is all cross platform. I want to use it and when
> it is out I will try to embed it into the plugins.

AFAIK, APR compiles without Apache 2.0 and it will generate a .lib file.
It should be easy to use it outside apache. It was just an ideea, it might
save use some typing.

Costin