tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Shachor Gal <>
Subject Re: Load Balancing
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:39:31 GMT

> Is anyone working on load balancing for tomcat.
> If so GREAT, when can we get it :)
> If not
> Any ideas and thoughts so far on this?
> Is it something I can take up?

As a concept, Tomcat inherits the Jserv code that handled load balancing.
The problem is that this code is currently partially broken... session
state will not work correctly!!!

As soon as I will be able to check code into the CVS I will fix that and
let you know... Hopefully sooner then later.

Now, for how it is working...
Apache (or any other web server) is first accepting the request, when it
finds out that the request should go to Tomcat it need to decide who is
the Tomcat process to be used. Deciding that can be based on something
like round robin but then you also need to support session affinity to the
JVM where the session started.

Jserv (as well as other servlet engines) solved this problem by embedding
the JVM id inside the session id sent to the client. Currently this part
is broken so sessions will not work (at all).

	Gal Shachor

View raw message