tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Angsuman" <angsu...@technologist.com>
Subject RE: why ClassNotFoundException on attempt to dynamically load a class?
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2000 01:42:01 GMT
Hazarding a guess, has the default class loader been changed?

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Kehoe [mailto:kehoe@fortuity.com]
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2000 4:47 PM
To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: why ClassNotFoundException on attempt to dynamically load a
class?

Why does this code throw an exception
"java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: SpecificReport"?

String dynamicReportName = "SpecificReport";
myReport =
(myReportInterface)Class.forName(dynamicReportName).newInstance();

It works fine if I just instantiate the object:
SpecificReport aSpecificReport = new SpecificReport();

And it works fine under Jserv or Jrun.

I hear someone asking, why does he want to do this? Answer: I want to
load a class dynamically based on a parameter passed from the
browser, like:
String dynamicReportName = request.getParameterValues("report")[0];

I'm using Tomcat 3.1M1 with java 1.2.2 Classic VM (build
Linux_JDK_RC3, native threads, sunwjit). What's going on that's
different?

Thanks!