tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From shac...@il.ibm.com
Subject Re: Load Balancing
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:45:51 GMT

  I've just check in the latest changes needed to enable load balancing
from Apache to several
Tomcat processes, so load balancing should now work...

You will need to:
1. Extract and build the latest mod_jserv (not the cool build process :-().
2. Configure Apache to use load balancing (look at
    http://java.apache.org/jserv/howto.load-balancing.html by Jean-Luc
Rochat)
3. Start several Tomcat processes
4. Start Apache

You are set.

Attached is the tomcat.conf that I used (setup for NT and 2 tomcat
processes).

> I was wondering if we could make the balancing algorithm pluggable

Sounds like future work...

As for load balancing from a certain tomcat process to other tomcats...
IMHO A site
big enough to use X tomcat processes should use apache to serve the static
pages...
Tomcat is not as good as apache in doing that (so say my benchmark).

     Gal Shachor

(See attached file: tomcat.conf)

Gal Shachor
IBM Research, Haifa Lab.
Email: shachor@il.ibm.com
Notes: Gal Shachor/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
Phone: +972-4-8296164
Fax: +972-4-8550070
Address: IBM Haifa Research Lab, Matam, Haifa 31905, Israel