tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Booth, Peter" <peter.bo...@csfb.com>
Subject RE: Running multiple servlet instances
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2000 17:07:48 GMT
Tom,

SingleThreadedModel is a kluge. I used the interface in the
previous servlet project I deployed , because server-side
performance didn't seme to be an issue and it turned out fine.
The servlet pooling in WebSphere 1.1 worked acceptably.

In my latest project I have written my servlets to be
multithreaded. I still use different servlet instances
by registering multiple servlet names (with different
init parameters) that use the same servlet code and this
works as expected. I haven't tried this with tomcat.

Peter Booth

-----Original Message-----
From: Clark, Tom [mailto:tom.clark@compaq.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 6:37 PM
To: 'tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: Running multiple servlet instances

Hi,
  I'm trying to run some SingleThreadedModel servets with tomcat and I can't
seem to get more than one instance of each to start up.  I've put multiple
<servlet> ...<\servlet> clauses in my web.xml and they all go thru the
init() method, but when I try to run them with our loadrunner tools, only
one of each class runs the service() method.  The duplicate instances don't
get activated.
  In reading the SingleThreadedModel documents, it talks about having a pool
of servlet instances and running multiple instances for multiple requests,
but I don't see this happening in tomcat.
  Anyone know if this is supposed to work and if so, how to make it happen?
Any help is appreciated.

     thanks,
        Tom Clark

Tom.Clark@Compaq.com

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state
them to be the views of any such entity.