tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Mannering, J (Joe)" <Manneri...@rabo-bank.com>
Subject RE: out of memory
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:06:57 GMT
Hi Lishin

This could be to do with exceeding max file-descriptors - this gave us the
error below (45 connections)

We are running tomcat on Solaris 2.6.  Each new connection uses at least one
socket connection, which is treated as a file-descriptor.  There is a
default limit (user) of 64 file descriptors

To check this try:

ulimit -n

To increase this try

ulimit -n <num>

There will be a system limit - for Solaris this is default 1024:

system limit:

ulimit -Hn

I hope this helps - I had a very frustrating time solving this one!

Joe.