tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>
Subject Re: request for comments about Multilinguage JSP
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:29:06 GMT
Eugen Kuleshov wrote:

> Assaf Arkin wrote:
>
> > >   As I said, multiple JSP need's for designer (not for programmer who
> > > implement data processing). Just look at this code (it's just
> > > schematic):
>
> > I understand that, but I think there could be a better way if you have
> > one JSP page and one other document (maybe XSLT, maybe XML-based
> > resources) supplying the missing bits.
> >
> > What happens if you decide to change the layout of index.en.jsp? You
> > also have to go and modify all the other languages.
>
>   It's broblem. But if I change one (in your case) JSP then I must
> change all resources for this page. Next point is a sinchronisation
> resources and JSP page. Someone now use something like this (look at
> message from Loki's developer):
>
> -------
>   some html code <%= language dependend resource %> html code again
> -------
>
>   Can you said that it's better then just different JSP? I can't. And my
> designers can't too. :-/

But do you like synchronizing JSP pages?

>   Also what about other things depends from country. For example
> european and american people reading from left to right. But arabic is a
> from right to left. It means that you need to change not only
> date/currency format's. You must change aligning too.

The language resource should not be limited just to the text contents.
It should also cover markup and markup properties.

I expect that you will have different markup for different languages,
and I also expect to see different images, etc for different languages.

>   I don't talk there about any XML solutions (it's good but not always
> usefull). I would like to have pure JSP solution. My offer can be
> realaysing by 10..20 lines of code in Jasper engine. Otherwise yours
> offer needs 3rd party XML/XSLP packages.

I just think there could be a better way, and if there is, you might
want to consider helping specify it.

Whether or not JSP supports this multi-language scheme, you can always
go into Tomcat and make Tomcat support it. Tomcat should enable you to
map a single URL into multiple JSPs based on language or some other
characteristics. (I know Catalina would)

So I definitely see that as something Tomcat can do, I'm just not sure
if JSP in general should.

arkin