tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Eugen Kuleshov <a...@hco.kollegienet.dk>
Subject Re: request for comments about Multilinguage JSP
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:51:19 GMT
Assaf Arkin wrote:

> >   As I said, multiple JSP need's for designer (not for programmer who
> > implement data processing). Just look at this code (it's just
> > schematic):

> I understand that, but I think there could be a better way if you have
> one JSP page and one other document (maybe XSLT, maybe XML-based
> resources) supplying the missing bits.
>
> What happens if you decide to change the layout of index.en.jsp? You
> also have to go and modify all the other languages.

  It's broblem. But if I change one (in your case) JSP then I must
change all resources for this page. Next point is a sinchronisation
resources and JSP page. Someone now use something like this (look at
message from Loki's developer):

-------
  some html code <%= language dependend resource %> html code again
-------

  Can you said that it's better then just different JSP? I can't. And my
designers can't too. :-/
  Also what about other things depends from country. For example
european and american people reading from left to right. But arabic is a
from right to left. It means that you need to change not only
date/currency format's. You must change aligning too.

  I don't talk there about any XML solutions (it's good but not always
usefull). I would like to have pure JSP solution. My offer can be
realaysing by 10..20 lines of code in Jasper engine. Otherwise yours
offer needs 3rd party XML/XSLP packages.

> If the differences are in the text content, I think that a common XML
> document with just that information would work better.

  In this case JSP is not a good way. Better is a using servlets or
Cocoon. :)

  Eugen Kuleshov.