tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>
Subject Re: request for comments about Multilinguage JSP
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:08:51 GMT
You definitely need to cater to both needs. Case in point, you might
have two stylesheets that are almost identical, except for the corporate
logo. Or you might have one stylesheet for online viewing (very
elaborate) and one for printing (very simple).

In my opinion what would work best is if you could select which one to
use based on the client characteristics, or supply them to the XSLT
transformer to apply the proper stylesheet template.

I like Eugene's proposal to have multiple stylesheets, one for each
characteristic. Not as the only solution, but a definite one for cases
that need it.

As a side issue, how about a different stylesheet based on the user's
role. Let's say I have the same common page for both Internet users and
company employees, but company employees get additional links to
Intranet resources.

The role-based security prevents Internet users from reaching these
pages, but I would rather not expose the links to these users.

If I choose to use XSLT, it should be aware of the role when applying
the transformation.

Just a thought.

arkin