tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>
Subject Re: request for comments about Multilinguage JSP
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:45:38 GMT
Eugen Kuleshov wrote:

> Assaf Arkin wrote:
>
> > My test case is actually a Servlet which contains only the logic and
> > does not generate a single line of HTML. Everything is done in XSLT, and
> > it rocks.
> >
> > Of course that raises the question, why would one use JSP for?
> >
> > Certainly not for presentation. But when JSP gains XML capabilities, you
> > might find it easier to use existing XML beans from inside an XML page.
> > Your JSP page will in effect invoke beans, glue them together, maybe do
> > some code, maybe not.
> >
> > You will also need to produce some XML for the portion of the
> > information that is static.
>
>   Thats right. But it is not the answer on my question and not solve
> problem of multilanguage JSP.
>   Other reason for don't use XML/XSLP egine is a speed of request
> processing. "Classical" JSP produced HTML is faster and eat less
> resources. JSP complied in first request and then run like other
> servlets.

Depends on how much you do.

Pier has been working on compiling XML, so you get a Java class, not an
parsed files. Approximately 3x faster.

Internally everything happens through SAX, which are reasonably fast,
even compared to streams.

Simple XSLT transformations are also very fast, and so is the
serialization.

It will never be as fast as present day JSPs, but neither will JSP be as
fast as an Apache module written in C++. But if it's not that much
slower (and people are working hard to make that happen), and it is that
much better, I bet you'll end up using it :-)

arkin