tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: Servlet reloading?
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2000 06:40:28 GMT
Shachor Gal wrote:

>  In all this discussion it seems that the Context attributes were
> forgotten. I guess that they should behave just like the session data.

It's not explicitly stated in the spec, but I think you may be right ...
this would be a natural consequence of "the container must avoid class
cast exceptions".   However, that's not good news when you want to store
something like a JDBC connection pool (which is generally not going to be
Serializable because it's got a reference to a socket in it) in the
servlet context attributes.  Yuck.

I suppose you could impose a restriction that context attributes must be
loaded by the system class loader (to avoid class cast problems), and not
reload them.  But there's no way for the container to enforce this, since
it depends on the sysadmin configuring things correctly.

>         Gal Shachor

Craig McClanahan