tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: Servlet reloading?
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:48:25 GMT
costin@eng.sun.com wrote:

> > > Does anyone know how servlet reloading works (or if it works) with Tomcat?
> >
> > Your parenthetical comment speaks to the actual situation -- it's not
> > currently implemented, although there's work in progress to attempt to
> > implement this in time for 3.1.
>
> There is a partial implementation, it should work for development if you
> don't do something special - I have no ideea how it interacts with Session
> objects or context attributes ( which are already loaded by the old class
> loader), but it should work at the same level as JServ ( the code is just
> cut&paste from there and the logic is the same ).

Costin, you'll want to do one of two things for the sessions to avoid class cast
errors:

* Persist them to session store before reloading, then load them again.

* Just kill them all.

Also, have you defined some mechanism to decide what "class path" is subject to
auto-reloads -- probably the WEB-INF/lib JAR files and the WEB-INF/lib classes?
Anything loaded by the system class loader isn't going to be reloadable.

> Nobody tested it, I just added the glue code and did a small sanity check.
>
> Costin

Craig