tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel L. Rall" <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Re: <Servlet> tag
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2000 02:53:45 GMT
> JSP has another mechanism for this (<jsp:include>, as others have pointed out),
> but if you really want this I suggest you use JSSI as the starting point and
> adapt it for Tomcat as a separate page processor than a JSP add-on.
> Adding <servlet> as a JSP custom action doesn't make much sense to me, since you
> would  have to use a prefix, e.g. <foo:servlet>, and XML syntax so it would still
> not help people migrating from other SSI implementations.

I did not realize that.  That rather negates the benefits of adding the
SERVLET tag as an intrinsic feature.  Why must the <BAR:SERVLET> prefix
and XML notation be used?  A single tag (with no prefix) seems like a
rather trival thing to implement (no disrespect intended, I'm just
trying to understand the reason behind this).

Daniel Rall (

View raw message