tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Re: <Servlet> tag
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2000 00:21:32 GMT
Daniel Rall wrote:

> > No, <servlet> tags are not supported in Tomcat. You may have some luck with
> > JSSI, but I have a feeling it needs tweaking since it's not possible to
> > implement <servlet> tag support without subclassing HttpServletRequestImpl
> > (to set parameters).
>
> What is the reason that the SERVLET tag is not implemented in Tomcat?  I would also
> like to be able to use it.  If it would be okay for me to add this functionality to
> Tomcat, can someone suggest a starting place for me to start perusing the code?
> What is the consensus about adding a SERVLET tag to Tomcat?  It seems to me that
> since Tomcat supports both Servlets *and* JSP that it should also support the
> SERVLET tag.  What are your thoughts?

JSP has another mechanism for this (<jsp:include>, as others have pointed out),
but if you really want this I suggest you use JSSI as the starting point and
adapt it for Tomcat as a separate page processor than a JSP add-on.

Adding <servlet> as a JSP custom action doesn't make much sense to me, since you
would  have to use a prefix, e.g. <foo:servlet>, and XML syntax so it would still
not help people migrating from other SSI implementations.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com