tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Re: <Servlet> tag
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2000 22:28:54 GMT
> What does the <servlet> tag provide that you can't get via
> <jsp:include>? There's no reason the URI of the include action can't
> point to a servlet...

True.  And I usually don't believe in supporting mutliple interfaces.  But in
this case, I feel that an exception should be made.  The user would have to be
familiar with Java Server Pages to know about--and how to use--JSP:INCLUDE.  The
SERVLET tag is part of the Servlet framework itself, rather than its JSP
extension.  (I'm not certain that the SERVLET tag is actually part of the formal
spec, but it *is* supported by the Java Web Server, which to date is the
official reference implementation for a Servlet engine.)