tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel L. Rall" <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] "Relayed" Apache API Project
Date Sun, 06 Feb 2000 01:37:30 GMT
> I know almost nothing about Corba so I can't really say anything here.
> But if we remove all the Corba-ish stuff from the orb and use IIOP like
> we use AJP today, I don't think it's a huge issue.

ORBit is a possiblity for an Object Request Broker.

Homepage:
http://www.labs.redhat.com/orbit/

Beginner's Documentation:
http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~genaud/ORBIT/c41.htm

Except (rather long, sorry):

What is ORBit?

ORBit is an implementation of CORBA, which is used (amongst other
things) in the GNOME project.

Why aren't you using ILU/MICO/TAO?

Most of GNOME is written in C, both for performance reasons, and because
C++ still isn't as portable and widely available. So integration with
CORBA should use the IDL C mapping, which
rules out TAO and MICO. ILU was ruled out because the license appeared
as too restrictive at the time for free software.

Is ORBit stable?

ORBit is used in pretty much any GNOME application, which gives quite
some testing for the features used. Other features have seen little or
no testing.

Does ORBit work with other ORBs?

Yes. This is one of the primary features of CORBA, and available through
the Internet Inter-ORB Protocol (IIOP). There is one pitfall: ORBit has
a proprietary security mechanism to
authenticate clients. If interoperability is desired then you might have
to figure out a work around for this

What license does ORBit get distributed with and how does it effect me?

The idl compiler is GNU Public licensed (GPL). The libaries are Library
GPL licensed. The code generated from the idl compiler have no
restriction. Bascially this means you can use ORBit in
your own applications (including proprietary applications), the only
restriction being that people who you distribute your working code to
must be able to up date the ORBit libraries at will. If you
wish to modify and distribute the ORBit idl compiler you have to
distribute that modification under the GPL.
--

Daniel L. Rall (dlr@finemaltcoding.com)