tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Danno Ferrin <shem...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: nightly build scripts (was: IllegalAccessError and Tags)
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2000 20:45:04 GMT

rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Danno wrote:
> > Is this being caused by old or dirty builds visible in the class path?
>
> Absolutely nothing was in the class path.  Everything was built from a
> clean cvs checkout.  (not even an update, a clean checkout)

That is good to hear.  And since it is 1.1.8 nothing can hide in the

> According to a prior post by Rajiv on this topic, apparently the Java
> compilers with 1.1 and 1.3 are not compatible with 1.2, and the consensus
> is that the 1.2 behavior is correct and this is being pursued as a bug in
> 1.3 (but curiously not being fixed in 1.1).

I would be interested to know what the particular compiler bug is.  But
I think sun's policy that a known bug with a known fix will not be
rolled into a 1.2.3 or 1.1.9 without a $100,000 fee is appalling, this
is the explaination I got when I reported the previously mentioned "try
nothing" verification error bug.

Perhaps we should consider moving to a different compiler like jikes or
the 1.3 compiler for the distros.  The 1.3 part would nix compilation on
linux but with an "at" job and an FTP pull or a samba mount from an nt
box it could be automated.

> My temptation is to produce separate builds for each major JDK level in the
> 3.1_M2 timeframe.

This may be best.  I haven't run a full matrix of source compilers and
jvm/oses but it might prove interesting if I ever get the time.

> - Sam Ruby
>
> P.S.  At this point, I am having deep difficulty in repressing my Italian
> heritage, and the impulse to express my outrage in a very forceful and
> direct manner.  Perhaps Stefano can help me out here when he gets back on
> Friday?  <grin>

Too many feature requests/demands and not enough developer bandwidth can
do that to anyone.