tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: Running multiple servlet instances
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:24:17 GMT
Brill Pappin wrote:

> > Who is "we"?  :-).  It would certainly be helpful to anyone wanting to
> implement
> > this feature to look at the way JServ dealt with it -- the whole concept
> is just
> > not high on my personal priority list for Tomcat.  Anyone else who wants
> > implement it is welcome to, of course.
>
> <chuckle> I guess that's more the collective we... those who are interested
> in Tomcat :)
>
> Is there a document describing the locations of the parts of Tomcat ??
> I'm having a lot of trouble finding where in the code a particular function
> resides.

At the moment, the code *is* the documentation.

Most of the core servlet engine stuff in Tomcat 3.x that you'd be looking for
is in the package org.apache.tomcat.core -- so the directory path (relative to
the jakarta-tomcat top level directory) is
"src/share/org/apache/tomcat/core".  The particular class that loads servlets
(and would be the basis of modification) is ServletWrapper.java.  A simple
"grep" for the word SingleThreadModel reveals that there is only one mention.

> Obviously it has to do with the fact that I haven't written any of it yet.
> Where would I look for the code that does the STM management?

I'd start by looking at the Apache JServ code.  That project has a CVS
repository too -- details are at <http://java.apache.org>.  In directory
"src/java/org/apache/jserv" you will see references to STM in three source
modules - JServConnection, JServServletManager, and JServSTMStore.  The guts
of Apache JServ are organized quite a bit differently than Tomcat (and I don't
think this particular code was done very elegantly), but you can extract the
basic concepts you need.

> - Brill Pappin
>   www.jmonkey.com

Craig