tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <cmcclana...@mytownnet.com>
Subject Re: Running multiple servlet instances
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2000 02:08:33 GMT
"Clark, Tom" wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm trying to run some SingleThreadedModel servets with tomcat and I can't
> seem to get more than one instance of each to start up.  I've put multiple
> <servlet> ...<\servlet> clauses in my web.xml and they all go thru the
> init() method, but when I try to run them with our loadrunner tools, only
> one of each class runs the service() method.  The duplicate instances don't
> get activated.
>   In reading the SingleThreadedModel documents, it talks about having a pool
> of servlet instances and running multiple instances for multiple requests,
> but I don't see this happening in tomcat.
>   Anyone know if this is supposed to work and if so, how to make it happen?
> Any help is appreciated.

Tomcat does not support multiple instances for SingleThreadModel servlets.
There is no *requirement* that this be provided by a servlet container; the
specification merely *allows* it.

IMHO, SingleThreadModel is a kludge and should have been eliminated from the
specification.  I have no interest in seeing pools implemented in Tomcat and
therefore encouraging people to use a technique that only solves a subset of
the issues regarding multi-threaded servlets.  You are much better off
redesigning your servlets to not rely on SingleThreadModel -- then, there is no
restriction on how many requests the single instance of your servlet can
handle.

>      thanks,
>         Tom Clark

Craig McClanahan