tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Anil K. Vijendran" <Anil.Vijend...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] "Relayed" Apache API Project
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2000 00:22:09 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> But isn't that the huge attraction of CORBA? I define the API and the
> wire is handled for me? Also, I get cross-language compatibility, as
> well as cross-platform.

Yep, right on. Using IDL and IIOP also lets us evolve the Apache-Tomcat
communication much more easily. But its not so simple.

   * We need to find a free C ORB out there with an acceptable license.
   * We need to find one that supports single threaded dispatches of
     callbacks -- this can be overcome by writing our own small ORB.
   * We need to find Java ORB that'll work -- there's one in JDK 1.2 but
     that's another debate -- can we move totally into JDK 1.2? (I can
     comfortably say its an hr's job to get it running on 1.1.x but there's
     the licensing nightmares associated with it.)

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)