tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <Costin.Manola...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [Catalina] Discussion -- Advanced Session Management Features
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2000 21:40:29 GMT
> I think the idea of a session is getting way out of hand here. A session is
> designed to hold simple data between browser requests. It is not designed to
> be a chache for large ampounts of data, or to contain the main component in
> an application. In a properly built system, the session is only used for
> state, id, or other temporary values.

"Advanced Session Management" is very important - for example to allow
efficient memory usage, to allow sessions to survive a server reload, etc.

I am just against "fail-over" or "too" advanced management, I think there
are better tools for that ( databases, J2EE, or any transaction system).
Implementing fail-over without transactions is difficult.

Costin