tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Brill Pappin" <brill.pap...@jmonkey.com>
Subject Re: [Catalina] Discussion -- Advanced Session Management Features
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2000 16:11:47 GMT
Ok, I can see that temper is beginning to play a part in this thread. Could
someone summerize the requests (or add it to the spec)? I would be happy to
work on a portion of this if someone closer to the project wants to
delagate, or review for addition.

I think the idea of a session is getting way out of hand here. A session is
designed to hold simple data between browser requests. It is not designed to
be a chache for large ampounts of data, or to contain the main component in
an application. In a properly built system, the session is only used for
state, id, or other temporary values.

Though the servlet 2.2 spec doesn't say the above exactly, it does say that
serialization can be enforced on data within a session (see section: 7.7.2
in the Servlet 2.2 Spec).

- Brill Pappin
  www.jmonkey.com