tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Anil K. Vijendran" <Anil.Vijend...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] "Relayed" Apache API Project
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:21:19 GMT
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 Costin.Manolache@eng.sun.com wrote:

> Corba is a huge thing, IIOP is just a simple binary protocol.
> Well, it's not simple - but that's because it support many complex types,
> etc - for our purpose we can just use a subset of IIOP.

Subsets are dangerous unless we can make sure we actually interoperate,
which is possible. Least of all there is value in atleast writing the
Tomcat side of the connector/adapter using the JavaIDL ORB in JDK (1.2).

> Yes, we need a request forwarding and callback protocol - but instead of
> defining an arbitrary encoding and arbitrary message format we can just
> reuse CDR ( strings are sent as legth + bytes - like in AJP ), and we can
> just use the message format of IIOP ( MsgType, magic, version, etc).

We can use the GIOP message format, CDR encoding and add the *IOR* format.
That would make it interoperable.

For this, there's lots of places we can steal code from :-)

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)