tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Anil K. Vijendran" <Anil.Vijend...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Why was Jasper support for XML Scripting elements removed?
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:08:39 GMT
On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Anil K. Vijendran wrote:
>
> > See Eduardo's mail on this topic (subject: use of xml syntax) on
> > tomcat-dev. The idea is mixing both non xml and xml equivalents was not
> > intended by the spec and that's exactly what the parser was doing --
> > allowing things to be intermixed.
>
> I guess I didn't understand the implications of this discussion.  There was
> a bug with the current implementation - that I can live with.  But the fix
> was to remove all support for something that is in the spec?

I don't think it was that straightforward either.

The rationale for the XML equivalents is so that one can construct a
JSP page that is well-formed XML. For all the reasons Eduardo describes,
the spec is not there yet. The XML equivalents are not exactly aliases for
things like <%, <%= etc. They should be used only when the whole page is
well-formed XML. And the spec is not yet at a point where a JSP page can
be designed to be well-formed XML. (For example mappings need to be
clearly.)

It seemed like we were trying to support something that wasn't fully
cooked in the spec; that's why it was decided we remove it.

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)