tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Anil K. Vijendran" <Anil.Vijend...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [LONG TERM PLAN] Proposed Architecture for Tomcat.Next Servlet Container
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2000 20:49:28 GMT
On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Hans Bergsten wrote:

> discussion dealt with a lot of other stuff as well, but I saw at least some
> support for parallel development; make sure all cleanup of Tomcat 3.x is
> done in line with the Tomcat.next proposal, at the same time work from
> scratch with Tomcat.next and refactor in as much as possible from both
> Tomcat and JServ.

What would the point of doing two parallel pieces of work be? As I see it,
we either relegate the current branch to bugfix mode and start new work by
creating a fresh workspace and pulling in code as necessary, OR keep the
current branch, flush out junk and incorporate Craig's ideas in there.

Doing both would be a waste of resources that we have here. I can see some
people moving over to work on the new branch and some others sticking with
the older branch. Also keeping two parallel tracks open causes confusion
on where we implement the next version of the specifications.

Either we decide to flush out Tomcat.current or we decide to dump
Tomcat.current, leave it in bugfix mode and move on to Tomcat.next which
will pull in code from Tomcat.current as necessary.

Having said that, my vote would still be to see how the cleanup is
done. Evaluate the possibility of moving over to a fresh branch after much
of the "cleanup" on Tomcat.current is done.

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)