tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: Apache+Tomcat - open projects
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:10:00 GMT
On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Dan Janowski wrote:
> I just tried that. That is about as easy as it gets. Compile, install,
> run.
> However it is: (add the -c)
> apxs -c -o mod_jserv.so *.c
>
> It seems to me that this is the correct way to do it for
> the two most obvious reasons: 1) it's REALLY easy;
> 2) Apache has already figured out what has to be done, as advertised.

But it has the Perl problem.
A very good solution would be for Apache to generate one extra file
containing the "guessed" compile flags ( which are now inside APXS), so we
can use it as include in a Makefile.
IT's easier than writing another configure that just duplicates (again)
what Apache just detected.

( it seems Apache 2.0 might use autoconf)

> I've not looked at Ant, but even a simple (4.5 second) Makefile in
> the CVS tree would have averted trying to figure out how source code
> with no makefile, configure/Makefile.in gets built ;)

It should be somewhere :-) ( used to be in the nighly build scripts )

> BTW, how do the Makefile.{am,libdir,tmpl} files get used at all in
> the current situation? Additionally what is the general role of
> a Makefile.am?

Makefile.am is used by Automake ( another tool that is too much for
tomcat - IMHO).

> It will take me a little longer to understand what is in tools
> and watchdog, as well as what is being referred to as Catalina. It
> is my intent to contribute. I am currently using Tomcat for a real
> development project and I really like the architecture.

tools is no longer used, watchdong is the test suite, Catalina is a new
architecture ( the big difference is in how a request gets processed ).

Costin