tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@costin.dnt.ro
Subject Re: [Catalina] Discussion - Component Configuration Strategy
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:50:51 GMT
> My comments are brief: I put on the table my knowledge about
> configurations and all the design ideas I could come up with. But, I
> don't have the energy to fight for my arguments also because I admit
> ignorance on many points (I never was a network administrator and I'm a
> windows user, the worst around here).

I'm really sorry about that ( the windows flames ).

Stefano, I hate this fight also, but I'll have to use and work with
whatever comes out of this discussion. The current architecture is
flexible enough to allow this model to be used, and people will start
coding using the "configurable" pattern ( which is easier to code and
understand). And if that becomes "de-facto" standard for tomcat I'll also
have to use it, and I really don't believe in it.

> So, all the irrationality removed, I think I'd better concentrate on my
> work and let you guys do yours since I know you'll do a great job even
> without my comments.

I think most arguments I read are rational, and Arkin's proposal ( to make
it possible to use both ) is reasonable enough. The code itself is
important, and we should not force people to use a certain pattern if we
can't reach agreement on it.

Costin