tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@costin.dnt.ro
Subject Re: [Catalina] Discussion - Component Configuration Strategy
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2000 19:21:33 GMT
> I have one bean called Server which I use to load and reload the
> configuration. (More about reloading later). It contains any number of
> Domains, each one with a Limit, Policy elements (for clarity, they are
> actually properties of Domain) and any number of Resource elements.
> Resource elements contain Resource elements, plug Include which
> reference external documents, and so on and one. About 20 objects in the
> graph with one root bean.

And it doesn't have to be a 1-1 mapping between the Object hierarchy and
the Bean structure ( for example, web.xml will be mapped to a simpler
object structure). It's just an implementation detail and a matter of
defining the mapping.

> I have never found this to be a problem. All the discussion about LDAP
> events is pretty moot, they are in the API, but not well supported in
> servers and not guaranteed to be sent. They are also specific for LDAP.

:-)

Yes, you are right about that, LDAP is not the perfect directory service.
I keep giving the JNDI example because directory services are used in real
world to solve configuration problems ( see Windows 2000 , Netware since
4.0, Sun NIS ). I don't want to use an API that is limited to only reading
elements because that's what XML can do today, but an API that
allow us to grow and scale ( even if not all features are implemented ).

Costin