tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject List Archive + Questions
Date Sat, 08 Jan 2000 21:05:51 GMT
	Is this mailing list archived anywhere?  I tried asking the list
processor for past messages, and it hasn't gotten back to me yet.
	In the mean time, I've just started working with Tomcat, and I've
got some questions.  If this is not the appropriate forum for them, let me
know where to look.

Thanks,
	Aaron

 - The FAQ link on the web site doesn't seem to work, and I can't really
find anything by way of documentation or mailing list archives.  Is there
some way to get information other than asking here?

 - How do you make a servlet be the "default" servlet, so any requests
that Tomcat can't otherwise handle will be sent to it?

 - Is the existing default behavior (sending directory lists, 404s, etc)
implemented as a servlet or otherwise?

 - I gather some XML classes were supposed to be included in the RPM
distribution I installed (they weren't!).  Is the Project X TR2 jar the
appropriate package?

 - In the conf directives in the tomcat.conf file, there's are lines that
look like this and specify which web applications get served by which
URLs:

ApJServMount default /root
ApJServMount /examples /root

	It seems like the /examples part of that tells apache to send
any URLs starting with http://.../examples to Tomcat.  What is the purpose
of the /root part of those?  Would different Virtual Hosts (in Apache)
have to use different values for the "/root" in order to avoid collision?
Can the "/root" be replaced with "/examples" for consistency?

 - The default server.xml has a section reading:

<!--
    Note: a default context, one which path is specified
          as "/", must be defined per the servlet 2.2
          specification.
-->
        <Context path="/" docBase="webpages"
            defaultSessionTimeOut="30" isWARExpanded="true"
            isWARValidated="false" isInvokerEnabled="true"
            isWorkDirPersistent="false"/>

	If all the requests go through Apache, then I assume this context
will never be used (unless you set Apache to forward *everything* to
Tomcat).  Why is it required, then, and what would it do?  I didn't
actually see this discussed in the 2.2 Servlet spec.