tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Andras Micsik <mic...@sztaki.hu>
Subject Troubleshooting
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 19:20:10 GMT

Hi,

I started to use Tomcat, but I have some problems with the setup. I want
to start Tomcat from another Java application. When I start Tomcat in
itself, it works OK. When I start it from the other application, I can get
HTML files, but servlets give the misterious "Error:404 No detailed
message". The init for these servlets aren't written on the standard
output (even SnoopServlet doesn't work).

In general I think the cause can be various (there are no symlinks in this
case): missing classes, Java exceptions at init() time, etc.

With Jserv in these cases I can have a look at the log files, set trace
levels, etc. I haven't found anything similar in Tomcat. There is a file
called serverlog.txt, but it contains only one line about the admin port.

Could you help me with some hints for troubleshooting/debugging?

Thanks in advance,

  Andras Micsik              micsik@sztaki.hu
  MTA SZTAKI Hungary         http://www.sztaki.hu/~micsik