tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Ricardo Rocha" <rica...@apache.org>
Subject RE: XML config
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:20:12 GMT
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > >     I believe XPath is too complex for what we need... But I'm
> > >     flexible (if you need XPATH, why not using XSLT? It might
> > >     be more complex, but....)

> > XSLT is not self-referencing, this is the key point.

> Pier Paolo Fumagalli wrote:
> W.H.A.T? I really don't understand what self-referencing means...

I wonder if this has to do with the ability to repeatedly apply
XSLT templates to an XSLT result tree in a recursive fashion.

If that's the case, such "recursion" can be achieved by storing
the result of a previous <xsl:apply-templates/> in an XSLT
variable and then using the resulting node variable value as the
select expression for a subsequent <xsl:apply-templates/>

Another radically dynamic, lisp-like  possibility is to have an
XSLT stylesheet generate another stylesheet by using
namespace aliasing, but that sounds way overkill. I guess it
should always be possible to achieve the same effect using
the above mentioned technique.

On the other hand, I might well be missing Stefano's point
here... my apologies in advance.

Ricardo