tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From jon * <...@clearink.com>
Subject Re: Beta support for IIS and Netscape plugins for Tomcat
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:56:53 GMT
on 1/24/00 6:23 AM, rubys@us.ibm.com <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I've checked his initial results in with the hopes that it will spur a
> discussion.  Initially on whether this is appropriate for an Apache project
> (the PHP project is under the ASF umbrella and has support for a wide range
> of servers, and I believe that supporting multiple servers is consistent
> with the Tomcat mission to be the reference implementation).  And
> ultimately on what the final form and direction of these interfaces should
> look like.
>
> - Sam Ruby

+1

Please note that we should finalize the protocol and/or abstract it out from
the rest of the code. The reason I say this is that from experience with the
Apache JServ project, someone will commit a plugin from another server (look
in the whiteboard module, we have stuff for Netscape), but then they don't
end up maintaining it because the protocol always changes. Lets try to make
this stuff as easy as possible to maintain.

-jon

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>