tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From mpo...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: log4g... IBM O.S license vs Apache license.
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:38:21 GMT

Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pier@apache.org> wrote:
> mpogue@us.ibm.com wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm...are you suggesting that IBM change the license (to, say, the ASF
1.1
> > license), or are you asking for an interpretation of the current IBM
Public
> > License?   I can help with both, just let me know what you're thinking

> I don't know ... I've just seen that people on the mailing list want to
> use Log4J, and I've seen its license (IPL1.0). IMVHO there's nothing
> against the use of IPL code inside ours, but, if there's the possibility
> of having it, I think that we should discuss it further.

As far as I know, the IPL permits inclusion in other products.  I don't
remember whether you can remove the IPL license language or not (I suspect
not).  If that works for Tomcat, it's the easiest way to go.

If it really needs to be under the Apache license, we can ask the question,
but it takes some time (several weeks minimum) to get an answer.  (License
questions tend to involve lawyers...)  Let me know if you want to pursue
this possibility!

Mike