tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Janowski <d...@3skel.com>
Subject Re: Apache+Tomcat - open projects
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:19:00 GMT
jon * wrote:

> on 1/24/00 7:43 PM, Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com> wrote:
>
> > I have been wondering why we are packaging mod_jserv in a half-assed way,
> > i.e. no Makefile, configure, etc, when ApacheJServ seems to be centered
> > around just such developement and distribution.
> >
> > Please accept that my comment is not to be critical. I say it that way
> > because what I ended up doing was copying our source into a post ./configure
> > ApacheJServ c/ in order to build it for FreeBSD. It was a bit funky
> > to say the least.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Because it is a ROYAL pain in the a** to create autoconf/automake/libtool
> stuff.
>
> I did most of the hard testing work for the Apache JServ 1.1 stuff with
> major help and kudo's to Vadim. Let me tell you, I spent probably about 2
> weeks solid working on just that issue alone. It sucked.
>
> ;-(
>
> If you would like to volunteer to help do it for Tomcat, I'm sure that it
> would be appreciated, but the above statements will probably turn you off
> from doing it. It is dirty, nasty work.

Sounds as nasty as I would imagine. I have a few questions:

1. Do we maintain a separate mod_jserve code base from
  ApacheJServe, or does stuff flow bi-directionally, or only one way.

2. It does not seem that we (or I) would have to start over since
  the AJS autoconf generates a largely usable result. An adaptation
  based on the AJS should be a strong enough, if not perfect, usable
  result.

3. Is ApacheJServ done? Will it stop and Tomcat take its place entirely?

4. I have no clue how libtool works. Where the hell did this thing
  come from? lo, la... I feel like I've been asleep. Any pointers?

Dan

--
Dan Janowski     danj@3skel.com       Triskelion Systems, Inc.     Bronx, NY