tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: blackdownRC3 best for tomcat on RedHat 6.1
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 01:24:35 GMT
"S.Ramaswamy" wrote:

> Jeff Teeters wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > My conclusion is that people using RedHat6.1 should
> > download the source and build tomcat using the blackdown RC3
> > version of Java.
>
> I thought the whole idea of java is WORA (Write Once Run Anywhere)   :)

There are no problems in bringing Java Binaries from one VM to another,
expecially in Solaris and Windows (never had a compatibility problem,
with whatever VM I tried, IBM and SUN).
The Linux world is a little bit late on that. I think we reached
stability on the 1.1 platform with the Linux VM from IBM (jdk-118), but
for 1.2 there are still a few tweaks...
Personally speaking I never had problems with the SUN virtual machine,
but I have to admit that I didn't test it out really hardly :)

	Pier