tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <jwt...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: XML config
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:34:39 GMT

my .02 ... i don't see a problem with storing an xml file, if only
in memory, from one system to another.

to the point, tomcat today has local server.xml as a persistent and
readily configurable format (no need for any other tools) ... as
i see it, tomcat could be modified so that it obtained a derived
config file, in xml format, from any source in addition to a local
file read. the code is not all that difficult (eg one url read) and
furthers the administration capabilities of tomcat tremendously
imo. the implementation details as to how the xml formated data
was derived should be hidden behind the service that generated the
data.

this was my intention of bringing server.xml on the scene. a local
file read today, a url pull tomorrow, we'll see what next the day
after. being a practical guy i chose simple steps along the path to
this objective. it is quite possible that others have interpretted this
planned and staged roll-out differently then it was intended.

hope this helps,

- james