tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <jwt...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: WAR Files
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:04:00 GMT

costin@costin.dnt.ro wrote:

> > I believe strongly that servers must support installing web apps as a
> > single archive file.  In fact, I think the spec makes this a requirement
> > (though my PDF viewer on this machine is failing so I can't be sure).
>
> Yes, I agree the user shouldn't edit any config file or shouldn't
> unjar any file.
> ( and it's very simple to do that - using a deploy program )
>
> Expanding the war at startup is a good solution ( which should work
> with the current tomcat ).

this was and probably still is working. there is some "internal request
mapping" hackery which was needed to pull this off which some may
think is bad/ugly/yadaYadaYada/booHooBooHoo ... but the fact is
the feature works and contingent upon other refactoring initiatives
could use some tlc as well.

> What I don't like is the  code that tries to deal with serving out of
> unexpanded war files, and all classloader tricks ( loading a jar file
> from a jar for libs, special cases in mappings, etc).

sorry the code causes you such distress. i believe if we ran on jdk1.2.x
that the class loader would be much cleaner. this was my intention.

further, with a bit'o refactoring in the DefaultServlet (and associated
kin) the fact that the war is expanded or not would be virtually
transparent.

> We still have most of the code in, if someone wants to fix
> it, but I would be very happy if we could just remove it -
> we have more important things to fix.

if it doesn't break anything and someone is interested in picking
it up why remove it?