tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Catalina] Discussion - Component Configuration Strategy
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:58:33 GMT
costin@costin.dnt.ro wrote:

> > The Servlet API didn't write methods so that your servlet can
> > reconfigure the server. If you do something like this, this is not a
> > servlet anymore.
>
> A configuration system should be useable not only by servlets!

There is a pattern I invented to reduce friction and flame wars. It's
more of an algorithm:

1) when you receive a mail that hurts you personally, write a very nasty
and totally unpolite mail back, answering every single point with almost
irrational ideas, removing all possible intelligence from it

2) then, ... delete it and start over again.

It turns out that you dissipated the friction that was created and you
are much more focused on the details and not blinded by personal
irrationality.

This is, of course, the result of point #2 :)

My comments are brief: I put on the table my knowledge about
configurations and all the design ideas I could come up with. But, I
don't have the energy to fight for my arguments also because I admit
ignorance on many points (I never was a network administrator and I'm a
windows user, the worst around here).

So, all the irrationality removed, I think I'd better concentrate on my
work and let you guys do yours since I know you'll do a great job even
without my comments.

With the tiny bit of irrationality remained, I'd suggest others on this
list to implement the anti-flame-war pattern more often :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.