tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Hunter <>
Subject Re: Are "burn-in" periods really required for milestone drops?
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2000 02:07:54 GMT
Hans Bergsten wrote:

> I agree; burn in for milestones seems like overkill and slows down
> the process. My suggestion is to drop them, but keep the burn in for
> the final release.

The answer to this depends mostly on what quality people expect from
milestones.  People probably expect Mn to be better than M(n-1).  If
that's true, then we need some burn-in so we can be sure that the
check-in done right before the milestone snap didn't break something

Plus, if people appear willing to do a little testing of the proposed
milestone and give good feedback (as Sam says has happened), then that's
reason enough to keep the burn-in.  Tomcat needs all the testing it can

If we can do a milestone on its own branch and continue checking in to
the root, then there's not much harm in having burn-in.

Jason Hunter
2.0 to 2.1:
2.1 to 2.2:

View raw message