tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: log4g... IBM O.S license vs Apache license.
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:44:05 GMT
jon * wrote:

> on 1/19/00 3:30 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Say Tomcat needs logging, then asks for a "logger" that implements the
> > "Logger" interface. Avalon knows that this particular setup implements
> > Logger with a glue class that connects to log4j.
> >
> > If you want to change the logger implementation due to legal issues or
> > technological details, you simply configure avalon to give a different
> > Logger implementation. This is the power of OO polymorphism and it's
> > exactly what Jon is suggesting.
> >
> > In fact, and this is the very reason why Avalon was created, each
> > project has a logging subsystem, but if you "connect" it strongly to the
> > server, your bound for life.
> >
> > Avalon gives you the component model and the framework to handle this.
>
> +1
>
> Turbine also has something fairly similar, but probably not as well defined,
> called "Services". Everything is implemented as singleton so that you can
> simply ask for the "logging" service and you get a reference to that object.
> Very cool way of extending things.
>
> -jon

+1.  Writing an Adapter/Interface for this is perfect  (except for the
extra CPU involved but this is trivial).  This way in the future we can
replace xml4j if it becomes bad.  We should think about doing this under
Avalon.  Of course the release timings will have to be synchronized so
that it isn't a requirement of Tomcat to run with beta Avalon code.
Also I strongly believe in Avalon but we just need to get it going.

--
Kevin A Burton
Senior Software Engineer