tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: Why was tomcat 3.0 released?
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:19:30 GMT
"Kevin A. Burton" wrote:

> "Anil K. Vijendran" wrote:
> > > I assume SUN is pushing to get as many features in there as soon as
> > > possible but this is a bad thing.  I have been amazed at what the
> > > Jakarta source code looks like (BAD) in comparison to other Apache
> > > projects.
> >
> > Let's get this straight. Sun is not pushing anything here. It is an open
> > source project and Sun happens to fund some people to work on this
> > project period.
> I guess it is one of those confusing situations.... like the reason
> Linus Torvalds didn't go work for Redhat because he was worried that
> there would be this kind of thinking.   I have just seen some of the
> things large companies have done in the past and am concerned that it
> will happen here :(... hopefully not.

My experience on Jakarta to date is that the Sun folks involved are acting as
individuals, so the best thing to do is ignore the "domain name" part of
everyone's EMAIL addresses.  There are obviously (right, Anil :-) places where
we disagree on steps to take, but I don't get the feeling that I'm disagreeing
with "Sun, the company."

> > > 2.  Why are there tab's in this file (\t) this should not be done.
> > > Coding conventions please!

Tabs are legal per the coding conventions currently published (the link is on
the Jakarta web site).  Anyone who complains loudly enough is welcome to propose
a revised set of code conventions for us to consider :-).

View raw message