tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@costin.dnt.ro
Subject Re: You have to break eggs to make an omlette [was: LONG TERM PLAN]
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:43:50 GMT
"Anil K. Vijendran" wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 costin@costin.dnt.ro wrote:
>
> > Does everyone agree that tomcat.core will have a dependency on DOM ?
> > ( tomcat.current doesn't - is this a feature we want for the new architecture?)
>
> Why? Is it because the interceptors are picked from server.xml and are
> configured in by core?

One of the core interfaces in tomcat.next - Livecycle, has:
configure( org.w3c.dom.Node ).

That mean components developed for tomcat.next require dom.

The current architecture is that each component has getter/setter for
all properties of interest, and the configuration code calls them. That
will also allow dynamic reconfiguration.

The "cleaned-up" architecture wants to use introspection, like in ant.

There are 3 models, and it seems everybody wants that we just throw
away the last to and do the Tomcat.Next one.

Costin