tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin.Manola...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: Proposal: request processing cleanup
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2000 00:15:07 GMT
> > Management is not the job of interceptors either - use the existing APIs
> > or add new APIs.
>
> I guess I'll have to rephrase my question. Given that some Interceptors
> can affect the behavior of the server, should management be performed in
> the server or should it be delegated into the Interceptor.

This is the big difference between Interceptors and Apache modules.
I'll return to this a bit later with all the details on "initialization
cleanup".
The ideea is the same as in Craig's proposal - we configure Containers
( i.e. Context, Server, Servlet, etc) - Interceptors are just used as
implementation.

We will be able to configure Interceptors , and the management
should be able to change this - but Interceptors _are_not_ managing
the server ( in the way Apache modules do that ).

> If an Interceptor is now responsible to handle processing for a context,
> what would be the proper way to control that context: should I use that
> particular Interceptor (e.g. ContextInterceptor) as my admin API, or
> should I use ContextConfig (or anything else) as my admin API?

Use Context methods to configure Context.
The admin API should be able to configure Interceptors too, but
we should not abuse that - standard interceptors are supposed to
operate on the defined components as required by the specs,
and "custom" interceptors are supposed to do fine tuning or
special stuff.