tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Anil K. Vijendran" <Anil.Vijend...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [LONG TERM PLAN] Proposed Architecture for Tomcat.Next Servlet Container
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 20:01:14 GMT
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> As before, I have no problems at all continuing to improve the current code
> base.  I will even help out if you want to divide up the work.  However, that
> should not stop beginning on a 4.x tree, based on the new architecture, right
> now.
>
> What do all the other Tomcat interested parties think?

I'd rather see us investigating more evolutionary possibilities rather than
starting on a new branch. This allows us to release more often while incrementally
evolving the current system to something that is more modular, has lesser cruft,
more comments, hacks and other crap.

With the current setup, most of us patch or commit to the main branch, with a new
branch, we'd end up probably dividing some effort and people.

Also, it should be a simpler decision with one branch to be able to implement the
next servlet and JSP specifications.

My votes are +1 for incorporating your ideas into the Tomcat 3.1 branch. -1 for
starting up on a Tomcat 4.0 Dev branch. Also, my understanding was that the major
version changes for Servlet/JSP API changes and all non API features (including
re-orgs) are minor version number changes.

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)