tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin.Manola...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: [LONG TERM PLAN] Proposed Architecture for Tomcat.Next Servlet Container
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 17:52:57 GMT
> However, I don't think that trying to build a component shell (based on the
> proposed Tomcat.Next interfaces) around the current code base is a good
> strategy.  More effort than necessary will be consumed adapting between the
> assumptions of the new model and the existing code -- and this also translates
> into performance problems as you add adapter layers.

I agree that "more effort will be consumed", but my point is that it's better to
have "frequent releases" based on the stable code. I don't think the goal is to
have the "perfect" design.

Anyway - I think we agree on what the target looks like ( except some details,
but it is easy and better to have both choices implemented - i.e. Container
chain and Interceptor - this is the biggest difference IMHO). That means
we should be able to meet somewhere in the middle.

Costin