tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: open processes...
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2000 18:18:20 GMT
James Todd wrote:

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
>

> > * When the first public drafts of a new specification are released, there
> >   is usually no hint of all the back room discussions, and rejected design
> >   choices, that went on before that release occurred.  Unfortunately, this
> >   sometimes leaves people wondering "why in the heck did they choose
> >   THAT approach," and can lead to the (usually mistaken) conclusion that
> >   no other alternative was considered.
>
> this one ranks pretty high in my book. while it is possible to build an
> implementation
> with nothing but a spec in hand it would be extremely helpful to see the
> formulating thoughts and discussions that went into the decission making process.

Which leads one to wonder why things aren't done in the IETF WG way
(i.e. working groups are open to all comers). Because the only way you
are ever going to get access to the thoughts and discussions is by full
disclosure, and if you are going to do that, you may as well let people
join in before it is too late.

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html