tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Amancio Hasty <ha...@rah.star-gate.com>
Subject Re: MS IIS and Apache feature war
Date Sat, 15 Jan 2000 21:49:19 GMT
Hi,

It is not clear what this debate is all about.

I just finished doing an HTML/Javascript interface
to network servers whose configuration files
are in XML files. For the purpose of configuration
the user has no clue as to how the configuration
information is stored or manipulated and I sincerely
doubt that most of the end users for this product
will care about the back end configuration files.
Nevertheless, the backend configuration XML files
are well documented for those who want to modify
them by hand and I am not sure how an end user
can modify the XML configuration files with a text editor
while the server is running -- My servlet implements
Reader / Writer file locks across edit session.

The web server side processing was done with
servlets . I used Dreamweaver to create the
HTML pages and enhydra's xmlc (http://www.enhydra.org)
to convert the html pages to java dom objects.

--

 Amancio Hasty
 hasty@rah.star-gate.com