tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Timothy Stewart" <t...@laureate.net>
Subject Tomcat problem
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2000 08:13:07 GMT
Hi all,

I hope this question is appropriate for this group, I haven't been able
to find much documentation.  I have Tomcat 3.0 up and running
with Apache 1.3.9.  So far so good.

I have two problems, perhaps its my Apache config, perhaps a
limitation in Tomcat, perhaps something else entirely.. I really don't
know.  The JSP web pages are accessed through the "8080" port,
and utilize a couple of beans.  I wanted to protect access to these
pages, since their function should be limited to a few select people.

I first tried a .htaccess file, but it was ignored.  I'm assuming that
Tomcat serving the 8080 port does not handle any authentication.
Maybe this would work somehow through Apache itself?

In order to work something else out, I modified my JSP page to ask
for a username and password initially and check a passwd file
using the bean to authenticate the user.  The form calls the same
JSP page and continues on given a valid password.

However, if I use METHOD=POST, the server returns an 405
Method not available error.  I can only get it to work with GET, and
in that case the username and password are displayed in the
location bar as parameters.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem, or at least point me
to the right service or config file I should work with
(Apache/Tomcat/JServ?).

Thanks for any help.

- Timothy Stewart.